Monday, November 05, 2007

Remember, remember the fifth of November

Remember remember the fifth of November
Gunpowder, treason and plot.
I see no reason why gunpowder, treason

Should ever be forgot...


When I was a child Guy Fawkes Night was a really big occasion - which was ironic because we were raised Catholic and were celebrating the execution of a Catholic conspirator. I wasn't too worried about the whys and wherefores though. It was just a big party with bonfires and fireworks and potatoes cooked in the embers.

Nothing like that happens now here in Sydney - Fireworks used to be let off on the Queen's Birthday holiday but are now totally banned. It was a bit shocking to see a full page colour Ad for rockets and bangers and squibs in a copy of The Otago Daily Times that my brother brought over from New Zealand. I must be part of the cautious generation now because all I could think of was burnt fingers and eye damage and bushfires.

This is the closest we'll get to fireworks here - my Cabbage Tree in an explosion of Flowers. It does this every year and the bees and Honeyeaters are very grateful for it.

In honour of Guy Fawkes "The only man to enter parliament with honest intentions" - I will watch V for Vendetta tonight. In the meantime check out this You Tube Video to see what may have happened if he had succeeded.

2 comments:

M-H said...

I don't think they've ever celevrated GF in SYdney - people who were brought up here only seem to remember fireworks on Empire Day. I think that NZ was on its own following the UK on this one.

kate said...

I love your Cabbage Tree - I don't think I have ever seen anything like it.

Happy Guy Fawkes Day! We don't celebrate it here either, although we did when I was young ... I just remember it involved lots of candy.


I enjoyed the movie, V for Vendetta ... I hope you enjoy too!