Wednesday, December 05, 2007

Call me Marvin

"The first ten million years were the worst. And the second ten million years, they were the worst too. The third ten million years I didn't enjoy at all. After that I went into sort of a decline" - The Restaurant at the End of the Universe

Here's a thing:
without looking in your wallet/purse list the entire contents; the credit cards, membership cards, discounts vouchers, lottery tickets, library cards etc, etc, and then imagine life without them.

This is what I have been doing for the past 24 hours because between using my wallet to purchase petrol at 2:30 pm on Monday and going to buy dinner with it at 6pm, it went missing.
I left my bag unattended on the Concert Hall stage while I focused the roof for The Bjelke Peterson School of Physical Culture (that's worthy of an entire post by itself but I don't want to relive any of it or inflict it on you.)

I don't like to think that there are people in my workplace that would help themselves to a wallet but it looks like I have been a bit naive and am now paying for it. I have been on the phone all morning stopping cards, arranging replacements, filling out forms and trying to remember where my Birth Certificate is so I can get my Driver's License replaced.

This has made me very, very depressed. I can totally empathise with Marvin and the grey rainy day outside is reinforcing the gloom.

"Life? Don't talk to me about Life."

8 comments:

Lien said...

I can totally relate!! Sorry to hear. I'd be completely lost without my wallet - not that there is a whole heap of dosh in it but I do have quite a few cards!!

Hope it gets sorted soon!!

M-H said...

This is horrible. And worse that it happened in your workplace. Yuck yuckitty yuck. I am so sorry.

M-H said...

PS I loved the portrayal of Marvin in the TV series - an actor called Stephen Moore with a lovely bass voice who was exactly right for the part.

amanda j said...

Bugger! What a pain in the proverbial.

diane_s said...

i have an old computer game of the restuarant at the end of the universe. wasting a few hours on thta right now would take your mind off a crappy day. sorry about your wallet, hope it gets returned
diane

Melissa said...

Sorry about your wallet. That's a pain.

Glad you like the Hiro badge. :)

Hope tomorrow goes better.

mehitabel said...

Aw, Kate, that just totally stinks! I will add your wallet thief to the drunk who smashed my daughter's car (hit and run, parked car!) leaving her with a 40-mile commute and rented wheels, as well as a big bill! They are on my wishing-them-evil list, and I'm hoping Karma is paying attention! (PS--my friend replaced all of her cards, etc, and two months later found her wallet in the back of her freezer, everything intact. Do check under your car seats...)

Jan said...

How horrible! Not pleasant to happen at all, and the feeling about how it was stolen makes it all worse. I hope it is returned soon, intact, although by then cards will be cancelled etc.

#2 son had a camera stolen at a friend's wedding. Not a nice thought, just as your thoughts about thief aren't.