Monday, June 12, 2006

You can't take the sky from me

Wash: A man walks down the street in that hat, people know he's not afraid of anything.

Jayne: Damn straight.
Firefly: Episode 13, The Message

I, like a lot of other knitters on the net, am a Sci Fi Geek. You name it, I have watched it, several times and then again and again when it comes out on video. I am not therefore surprised to see a strong correlation between knitting, geekdom and Science Fiction. Look at how many patterns there are for all the versions of the scarf from Dr Who. (I have plans to investigate this further one day.) >

My favourite Sci Fi series, short lived though it was, is Joss Whedon's Firefly. I could rave on for hours about the great music, fantastic casting, marvelous scripts etc, etc, but I'll restrict myself to the costumes. In this series they are as good as the scripts - they range from Inara's sumptuous Indian silks to the ubiquitous Browncoat. In knitted items the most famous (or infamous) is Jayne's earflap hat which, I think, does a disservice to the craft>


I much prefer this outfit that River wears in Episode 4; "Safe". It's a loose, Mohair jumper over a cotton dress that she twirls about in, during a fiddle dance. The fact that she is a slim, slip of a girl that anything would look good on does not dissuade me from planning to make one of these one day. It looks fairly basic; boat neck with bell sleeves and big needles. It's on the to-do list.
(I wonder if there's there an acronym for projects that are planned but not quite started yet?)

3 comments:

M-H said...

Sure is: HALFPINT: Have A Lovely Fantasy Project - I've No Time! All those months on the knitlist weren't completely wasted! :)

Pamela Lee said...

On one of the lists I read they were referring to them as WIMs (Works In Mind) the other day.

Whatever they're called, there's a strong possibility that I may have way too many of them already... ;)

Amethyst said...

"In knitted items the most famous (or infamous) is Jayne's earflap hat which, I think, does a disservice to the craft."

I agree. I love Firefly, but that hat is ugly.

When I was reading the description of River's sweater, I thought of a pattern in Stitch and Bitch: The Knitter's Handbook. It's sort of like To Dye For, with a few adjustments.