Friday, May 12, 2006

A Tale of Old Gold Kid Silk

Here is a Kim Hargreaves design; "Cropped Cardigan with Mock Pockets"in Rowan Kid Silk . Per ball the yarn is 25g , 64 metres with a gauge of 20st and 26 rows to 10cm on 4.5mm (US 7) needles.

Also known as Kaffe Fasset Kidsilk yarn it should not be confused with the more contemporary Kid Silk Haze which is
210m to the 25g ball with a Gauge of varying sizes depending on where you're looking.

This pattern is part of a 4 page pamphlet that I have often seen split for individual sale on eBay, either that or Rowan also published the designs separately.

Here is my faithful dummy wearing my version of the completed Cardigan (minus Mock Pockets) in shade 989, "Old Gold" .

There does seem to be a pattern in my knitting here - blocky design, no protection to the lower back from nasty draughts. Because this is such lovely and such rare yarn I do plan to 'reconstruct' this garment one day.

If I had another four balls perhaps I could make this; but my chances of finding one, let alone four balls of this are rarer than hen's teeth. It may not look it but there are 14 balls in the Cardi, so, before I subject it to a frog attack I shall try and create a basic boat neck, 3/4 sleeve pattern that will let the yarn speak for itself and reach past my waist line.

No comments: