Wednesday, July 25, 2007

Dr Egg and the Big Hat


I'm so tired, I haven't slept a wink
I'm so tired, my mind is on the blink
I wonder should I get up and fix myself a drink
No, no, no

After three days of drama (excuse the pun) I'm finally back home - all a bit Twilight zone - she left in the morning and was not seen until three days later.
Two and a half fourteen hour shifts with two ten hour breaks, no time to travel home and back; thank goodness for spare knickers in the locker and the little room in the city to bunk down at.

I had to fill at the last minute in for the Lighting of the world premier production of "Dr Egg and the Man with One Ear". It wasn't a huge rig nor was it a challenging plot (slight problem with a DMX triggered Animation sequence that the 510 backup decided it didn't like) but I only expected to be there for one shift.
I only had one lot of knitting with me and NO knitting Literature. Okay, I could cope with the fact I had to wear the same pair of Jeans from Monday to Wednesday but not with the fact that I had left Elizabeth Zimmerman at home in both book and DVD. That's tragic.

To rub salt in the wound when I finally did lurch home on Wednesday evening after falling asleep on the train several times, I found a Ravelry invite waiting for me. Yay (zzzzz).
I started to surf through its huuuuge database and forums and patterns but had to stop because my brain is totally fried. It just ain't fair.

The one bit of knitting I had with me is finished of course - it was the box hat from Cleckheaton's Vintage Hues. I made it a bit larger than the pattern because I've got a big head and I also wanted to felt it a bit. It's made from one 100g ball of the Ashford's Tekapo Pure Wool I bought from Cooma. So far it is proving very resistant to any felting or shrinkage, despite a fair bit of rigorous handling in hot water. This lady says its a fabulous felter so I will persevere - tommorrow. I'm going to bed now.

1 comment:

JulieB said...

My mother used to play that on the piano all the time when I was growing up. We had a big book of Beatles sheet music and I think this was her favourite.

I'd be tired too after all that! Welcome home :)